A concerned parent reached out to me with questions about our concerns she had about privacy and student survey—especially when sensitive or private information is involved. I decided to do some research to make an informed response and found this great article about what we should be asking our school system and why. It encourages families to ask the following questions:
- Which websites, services and apps will my child’s classroom use this year?
- How does my school handle directory information?
- What is my school’s approach to school safety, and what does it mean for my child’s privacy?
- Does my child’s school administer surveys?
- What are the rules for recording devices in my child’s school?
- How is my child’s information secured?
- How does the school train teachers and staff to protect student information?
The full article can be found here: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalEducation/2018/09/privacy_questions_parents_schools.html
And a pdf summary can be found here: https://ferpasherpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/FPF-Parent-Questions-to-Ask-Schools.pdf